LAWYERS / HEATHER RICHARDSON NICOL
Heather Richardson Nicol is a civil and commercial litigator. Heather works with her corporate and individual clients to resolve disputes in the most cost efficient and effective way possible. Heather has extensive experience advising clients and leading complex settlement negotiations, mediations and arbitrations, and in litigating before all levels of Court in Alberta. Heather has represented a broad range of clients in various regulatory proceedings and appeals, and in contract, negligence, property, and personal injury disputes.
Prior to joining TingleMerrett LLP, Heather clerked for the Honourable Madam Justice Rowbotham at the Alberta Court of Appeal and worked for several years in the litigation and regulatory groups at a major national law firm. Outside the office, Heather enjoys spending time outdoors (preferably on a ski hill or hiking trail) with her husband and two young sons.
Heather is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and former member of the executive for the Canadian Bar Association – Alberta (South) Environmental Law Section. Heather volunteers as Amicus at the Court of Queen’s Bench, where she provides pro bono legal advice to unrepresented litigants.
Heather’s select experience includes:
- Acting on behalf of a large natural gas company in a $35 million dispute involving seismic data
- Representing a First Nation at a 5-week trial at the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench regarding a royalty dispute with the Government of Canada
- Acting for a large private oil and gas company in a dispute involving a pipeline crossing and substance release
- Representing a transmission line operator in an appeal involving Constitutional and land valuation issues
- Acting on behalf of a commercial property owner in relation to quasi-criminal charges resulting from a hazardous substance release
- Acting for several insurers in settlement negotiations relating to personal injury matters
- Assisting a vehicle lessor in defending against several subrogated claims by the Alberta Workers’ Compensation Board
- Representing directors in relation to a claim involving personal liability in tort
- Assisting international clients with letters rogatory
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Member of the Law Society of Alberta
Canadian Bar Association
Calgary Bar Association
2007 McGill University (B.A. Honours)
2011 University of Calgary (J.D. (LL.B.))